Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Broccoli Cornbread

It's broccoli. It's cornbread. It's...broccoli cornbread.
"Why?" you may ask. Why would I put broccoli in my cornbread?
Why not? I feel apathy is taking over.
Here's the recipe. For the cornbread. Not the apathy.
1(10-oz)pkg. Chopped broccoli- thawed and drained
(4-oz) freshly grated mild cheddar cheese
3-eggs
1/4-cup milk
1 stick of butter, melted
1 Jiffy corn bread mix
Mix all ingredients, leaving the cornbread mix until last. Pour into 11 X 7 baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes or until browning across the top.

15 comments:

Selba said...

Oh.. this must be yummy. I like broccoli.

Julie said...

Thanks Selba...it actually really is good. A lot of recipes I found called for cottage cheese, but that kinda grossed me out ;)

Lunch Buckets said...

I'm still asking why.

Ironjack said...

My mom does a variant on this recipe and it includes cottage cheese and onions. Light and fluffy. Most of my friends are leery of the broccoli let alone the cottage cheese. Go for it and give it a try. It's very moist and yummy

MuseSwings said...

Bravo! You use Jiffy too. There are several things in life that I only make unadulterated and this is one of them. The addition of broccoli sounds delicious though...I might just try it.

Pam said...

I've never thought of broccoli cornbread. It's a great way to get kids to eat veggies.

Julie said...

I suppose if you chopped the broccoli up even smaller they'd never even notice.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a smashing idea! Love it!

Kasey said...

Yummy! and I'm lovin' the puff pastry recipe! I think I might give it a try! thanks

Brindi said...

Love broccoli cornbread. I have a Jiffy box in the cabinet. I may have to whip this up tonight.

The Blonde Duck said...

That's a cool twist!

Mammatalk said...

I think it sounds yummy. Interesting mix. Thanks for visiting me on my big, bloggy day!

Tiffany said...

I've heard of corn in cornbread, but never brocoli. Looks worth a try though.

Sarah J. said...

Broccoli corn bread? I never would have thought about it! I'm always up for trying new things!

Olga said...

This looks great. I love putting different things into Jiffy. One time I added corn, jalapenos and cherry tomatoes.