Wednesday, October 13, 2010

When Love Comes To Town (and a CSN review)

Well, as you may remember our little doggy friend Cody passed away early last month.  We were all kind of sad and blue.  Just didn't seem right without a dog around.  We had planned to wait until Christmas to get another dog.  I guess Christmas came early.



My husband went down to our local shelter and perused the dogs there.  I didn't go because I'm a wimp.  Seeing all those dogs there makes me too sad.  He decided on this little Terrier mix who seemed kind of laid back and friendly.  So far he seems like a pretty good fit.  He has been named Rintoo, after one of my son's favorite characters on Nick Jr.
I think all of our spirits have been lifted with this new addition to the family.  Nothing like somebody to get all excited and wag their tail at you when you get home from a long day at work. 

So this is where CSN Stores comes into the picture.  I had to chance to review a product from their store, so the timing was just right to get the doggy a new bed.  
First I got this dog bed duvet by Molly Mutt.



They have some really cute ones to pick from!  The idea is that you also purchase a "stuff sack" and just stuff it with things you have around the house to make the bed.  





After careful inspection and research, Rintoo approved.






Because every dog needs two beds,  I also got this giftable set made by Thro


 It come with a little squeaky toy and tiny dog blanket, and it's super soft.  I think if Rintoo had to pick just one, this one is his preference.  



Although we love the stuffin's out of this dog, it hasn't been completely without a hitch.  The dog decided a couple of weeks after he got here he has issues with our son.  Here's the scenario...I've probably told you Simon has autism, and he tends to be somewhat aloof, do his own thing.  Not extremely interested in everything going on around him.  Also his movements can be kind of "jerky", I suppose.  Apparently the dog has either picked up on his overall disinterest, or thinks of Simon as the only family member he can be dominant of.  There have been a few episodes where the dog growled at Simon, and it usually seemed food related (Simon was in the kitchen with me while I was cooking and Rintoo growled when he got close to me and the food), or territorial.  (the dog was allowed to sit in one chair when he first arrived, and he got a bit possessive of it.  now he's a floor dog).  So anyway,we are working to try to show the dog that Simon is indeed the boss of him, and hopefully they can be friends.   So if you have any insights into dog psychology, I'm all ears!





16 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on your new addition

The JR said...

Get a squirt bottle and keep him from getting near your son if he has food.

You don't want a bad habit beginning that could cause your son to get bitten.

Or you could just ban him from the kitchen. My house dog was not allowed in the kitchen of my old house. She was taught not to beg.

Since we eat at the bar in this house, she is allowed to come into the kitchen. But, she still does not beg.

La Bella Cooks said...

What an adorable dog and I love the name. It is so much fun to spoil a new pup. Have fun!

pam said...

What a cute doggie. Maybe he has issues from a previous owner. It will probably just take him time to get used to everything.

Anonymous said...

Aw, congrats on your new 'baby' Julie. What a lucky dog. :o)

Mimi said...

Congrats on the new addition to your family. We have an adopted dog too. She came with her own set of issues which have improved over time.
I made your candy corn cookies and they were terrific.
Mimi

Faith said...

Congrats on your new family member! I hope everything works out with him...I wish I had some insight into dog psychology but I unfortunatly don't have any experience with this...hopefully someone out there can help!

Sara said...

Cute doggie!! Congrats. I love this duvet cover for the doggie bed...my dog needs one of those.

Monet said...

Congratulations on your new family member! Ryan and I want a dog so badly, but our landlord said "No Way". Sometime in the next few years though! Thanks for sharing.

theUngourmet said...

I've had dogs do this type of thing. It's so frustrating. We have had to find them a new home. I'm no good with behavioral issues especially when the dog is growling or aggressive with my kids. We have had a female black lab for several years now and she is such a perfect fit for us. I hope you find solutions soon. I love the duvet cover. Are there larger sizes? I'd love one for our dog's bed. :)

Monica H said...

he is a cutie and I'm lovin' that doggie duvet!

I hate that the dog is pickin' on Simon. I don't know if it's because he has autism (I didn't know that, btw) or if he sees that Simon is in some way weaker (no offense!) because he's disinterested. I'm sorry to hear that though. I hope you find a solution.

Pam said...

What a cute pup. Hopefully you will be able to stop him from growling at Simon.

Blogs said...

how lovely! i want a doggy!!!:)

Reeni said...

He is such a cutie! I don't know much about training dogs but I hope it works out.

My Little Space said...

OMG Julie, you got a new family member! Congratulations, dear! Hope everything went well. Well, it's never easy to have a new adult dog in the house. You've to start everything all over again... especially in training job! Just need a little time to due with it. The new addition will brighten up the house with much joy. I'm sure you going to love him more.
Blessings, Kristy

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Uh-oh!

I'm supposed to go tomorrow to look at a dog for my children. Glad I decided we need to all "meet" the doggie first. Hope it works out!
~ingrid