Sunday, March 6, 2011

Fruit Roll Sushi

I hate to admit it, but I'm just not into raw fish. I just can't make myself do it.  Why should I when I can just roll up rice krispie treats in a fruit roll-up and call it sushi?



I found this recipe in an old cookbook someone gave me called "Recipes for Busy Moms" by Mr. Food.  Anyone remember that guy? I think he's famous for saying "ooh it's SO good!"  And I got to see him in person once, my little claim to fame there.  

So basically you're just making a small batch of krispie treats and rolling them up like so...


Obviously I'm not an experienced sushi roller, and I'm guessing I'm never going to be.  

Here's the recipe:


Ingredients:
1 tbsp butter
12 marshmallows
2 cups crispy toasted rice cereal
4 square fruit roll ups
assorted licorice or gummy worms (I used the latter)

Directions:
In a med saucepan, melt butter over low heat.  Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat and stir in cereal.

On a flat surface, unroll the fruit roll ups. Spread equal amounts of cereal mixture over each roll up, covering the entire surface and packing the mixture flat.

Place 3 different colored licorice in center and roll tightly into a log, sealing where the edges meet.  Squeeze rolls gently to secure.  Trim the ends and slice with a serrated knife into 1/2 inch pieces.  Serve, or store in an airtight container until ready to serve. 

16 comments:

LittleAsianGirl BigAppetite said...

cute! what a fun idea :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I would be more than happy to eat this sushi!

Cassie said...

How fun and adorable! I know two little boys who would love your version of sushi :)

The JR said...

I'm half Japanese and can't handle raw fish.

These look fun and good.

teresa said...

adorable idea! i bet the kids loved this!

Val said...

Brilliant, my kiddies would go crazy for these. Thanks for posting this = )))

#1SAHM said...

what a great idea! I don't like sushi, but this looks good! = )

Joanne said...

These are adorable! Kid-friendly, mother-approved sushi. Gotta love it.

The Blonde Duck said...

Does your mom cookbook have any cookie recipes for kids?

Kim said...

Julie - I'm not into raw fish either. I don't think they'll ever be a day where I give a try.

I do love this fruit roll sushi though and the best part is that my son (who is allergic to mostly everything) can have these too. I'm making a note to make them soon. They'd be a big hit at the preschool when we have to bring in food. What kid wouldn't like this?

Monet said...

This is the sushi that will make anyone happy. Such a cute idea! Thank you for sharing your words and recipe tonight. I'm drooling. I hope you have a beautiful day tomorrow. Happy Hump Day!

Heather S-G said...

So cute! I bet my kiddos would have a ball making these. And then eating them ;)

Tiffanee said...

This is my type of sushi. Love it. I am so making this for my kids.

Karen said...

Kids would love this and it looks pretty, too. I don't like sushi, either. We fish with it :)

Kristen said...

Those are so cute, my kids would love them

scrambledhenfruit said...

So Cute!!! My grandson would love these! We'll have to make them the next time he visits. :)